Frequently Asked Questions

Are there alternatives to accepting the insurer’s adjusted amount?

Yes. As an insured, you have the option to provide an independent appraisal of the cost of the damages and may execute your signed and sworn proof of loss based such appraisal. Without such appraisal, many homeowners may not be aware of the value of their claim and damages. And while the execution of such proof of loss does not guarantee recovery of the amount sought, there are options available to homeowners even the amount is not accepted by the adjuster and/or claims examiner.

Should I be aware of any deadlines?

Yes. There are multiple deadlines or time constraints of which policyholders must be aware. First, policyholders are required to promptly submit Notice of Loss. Second, policyholders are required to submit a signed and sworn proof of loss within 60 days (NOTE: this has now been extended to 270 days) of the date of loss. This deadline can be extended by FEMA - and has been in the past with regard to large flood events. If you have flooded as part of the recent floods across our state, you should make certain of any extension prior to relying on upon it. Finally, any lawsuit must be filed in federal court within one year from the mailing date of the Notice of Disallowance or Notice of Partial Disallowance issued by the NFIP or your WYO carrier.

If I execute the adjuster's proposed proof of loss, can I seek a different amount later?

If you have executed the adjuster's proposed proof of loss, additional actions are required to preserve rights to recover additional amounts. For example, an additional Proof of Loss meeting all requirements must be executed before the deadline. If you are unsure of the value of your loss or the cost of repair, it may be best to properly assess those issues prior to executing a proof of loss. In many cases, executing a proof of loss may limit claimants later seeking additional recover.

What is the role of the adjuster?

The adjuster assigned to your insurance claim is hired and compensated by your flood insurer. The adjuster's report is provided to an examiner who is also acting on behalf of your flood insurer. Property owners relying solely on the reports of these adjusters are foregoing the opportunity to have their damages estimated by an independent appraiser.
About Us Image

Contact Us

Two experienced law firms have joined together to help ensure you receive the full compensation you deserve to rebuild after the devastating floods. If you suffered a loss, contact us for a free consultation.

Phone: 225-369-2219

Address: 13475 Vera McGowan Rd., Suite B Walker, Louisiana
1010 Common Street, Suite 3040/3000 New Orleans, LA 70112

Important Information

Just as individuals, businesses suffered losses arising from the 2016 flooding. For those insured businesses, the issues of coverage and adjustment of their claim can be even more challenging that those faced by other policyholders. Our office’s attorneys are experienced in representing business policyholders on issues of coverage and adjustment on such issues as business […]



Two Firms with One Mission